Alberta Breastfeeding Committee (ABC)
The Alberta Breastfeeding Committee (ABC) is a team of health care providers, independent breastfeeding experts, and consumers who are dedicated to protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding in Alberta.
Breastfeeding is the norm in Alberta.
The ABC will provide leadership and resources to protect, promote and support breastfeeding in Alberta as the cultural and biological norm for children, mothers, families and communities.
To promote and protect and support breastfeeding through:
- Promoting adherence to the International Code of Marketing of Breast milk Substitutes and subsequent relevant World Health Association Resolutions
- Promoting the Baby-Friendly Initiative and Baby Friendly Communities
- Facilitating education at all levels around breastfeeding and use of human milk
- Networking and partnering with agencies, teams and organizations that work with breastfeeding families to protect, promote and support breastfeeding
- Providing expert advice and recommendations on breastfeeding research, evidence, policy, data collection, and program development
- Providing direction to governments and agencies around breastfeeding as a determinant of health
- Encouraging peer support programs
- Creating and reinforcing initiatives to improve initiation and duration rates of breastfeeding in Alberta
- Creating a platform for addressing breastfeeding issues in Alberta
- Providing a portal to resources for health providers and the public looking to promote, protect and support breastfeeding
- For mothers facilitating awareness of their right to breastfeed anywhere, anytime in Canada and providing resources for women returning to the workplace
- Recognizing the achievements of those who work in this area